Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Annapolis Bound, Part Four

Monday, November 28

Moving truck arrives around 10 a.m. I stand at front door directing movers on where to put things. For five hours.



I start to notice that the water is the house is discolored and smelly. I know we're on a well, but was told that we shouldn't be able to tell a difference in the quality of water.



I also notice that the ice maker doesn't work. Neither does the kitchen sink disposal nor does the over headlight in the master bedroom and there is an "open" hole in the guest room ceiling where the smoke detector should be. And there's jumping crickets in the basement.



I throw a load of towels in the wash. BIG mistake.


They come out rust stained.



Tuesday, November 29

Aubrey and I go back to work. My in-laws stay at the house to keep unpacking and cleaning. My father-in-law paints the nursery for us. It's my favorite room in the house. It's clean. No boxes. Beautiful paint.



Cpmcast comes to set up cable, phone and Internet. It takes the guy two hours just to find the lines. The house has been completed so poorly that he's not sure he can make any of it work. Three hours later we have Internet and cable in my office and bedroom. He can't drill any cable access points for the TVs in the den and basement because we don't have a signed, written letter from our landlord saying it's okay to drill. He leaves.



The water is worse. It smells like you're taking a shower in liquid metal. The white sink, tub and toilet basins are starting to yellow making the house look dirtier.



We call the landlord to complain and he calls water company. They tell us to run the water for one hour to see if that will help.



We do it. No improvement.



Wednesday, November 30

Aubrey's parents stay and continue carting stuff up and down our two sets of stairs and organizing our storage shed and hanging pictures. We literally could not have gotten this far without both sets of parents help. At this point, I'm hurting. A lot. I vow to make myself sit down more today.



They have to leave this afternoon to get back to Richmond so my mother in law changes the sheets on the guest bed and cleans the guest bathroom so I don't have to before my mother arrives this week. She also scrubbed the entire basement (including yucky bathroom)!



They leave after dinner and D.C. traffic and vow to come back soon to help more.



Thursday, December 1

We meet my Baltimore OB-GYN. I really like her and am excited that she'll be delivering Crawford. I warn her of my fear of pain.



The water company comes out to evaluate the conditioning system in the house. His reaction is that our water levels are all over the place. No s&%t Sherlock. He says he does some treatments to improve the quality but the water is safe to drink. I point to my ever-growing belly and inform him that I am NOT drinking yellow, smelly water.



He tells me to wait and see what it looks like on Tuesday. FOUR days later.



We buy more ice.



Friday, December 2

We decide we need some fun and go get our Christmas tree.



Saturday, December 3

Aubrey has to work and I have my first Junior League of Annapolis function. It's so fun to put on make-up and talk about something else besides yucky water. I really like all the ladies I met and can't wait to get involved.



We decorate tree and finish unpacking den and kitchen. Aubrey runs three million boxes to the trash and storage containers to the shed.



Sunday, December 4

We spend $40 and three hours at the laundromat. There's no way I'm washing our clothes in the water here. Who knew doing laundry was so expensive??? I kept watching familiesbringing in double what we had and had to refrain from yelling out how much they were spending a year at the laundromat and they could just buy a washer and dryer for that cost....


I meet a sweet older lady who is appalled at the state of my towels. She suggests I scrub them with lemon juice and then wash them again. Since the whole load was from Pottery Barn and cost a bit of money, I'm willing to try anything.



We leave the laundromat and head to the grocery store where we purchase groceries including 10 gallons of filtered watered and three large bottles of lemon juice.



I spend one hour in our future son's bathroom (only bathroom with a tub) scrubbing iron stains out of our towels with lemon juice. 6 months and three weeks pregnant.




No comments:

Post a Comment